Great little article about how the flickr team manage thier worldwide online community. "The job always comes down to finding the fulcrum in the teeter-totter, the balance that benefits both the individual and the community," [link]
Ex collegue of mine Matt Cashmore is about to blog motorbiking to Russia for charity, some of which he'll be doing as audio by phone – here's his handy guide to doing just that (the phone thing, not the motorbiking): "Sound simple doesn’t it. Just find a way of leaving a message on something like skype, then get it to encode your audio, upload it to the server and generate the XML." [link]
An old PA football story somehow finds itself published as new news on This is Croydon – to the ire of commenters. The very funny ire. Read the comments from the bottom-up to get it chronologically. [link]
Firefox extension that hides comments on YouTube by grammar, spelling and punctuation. It's a very good way of filtering the dreadful and purile comments that litter YouTube. [link]
Nice piece about the BBC's "research mansion", doomed to closure and the dispersal of some incredibly talented people. [link]
- Trent Reznor 'releases' new album on Pirate Bay – Now that we're no longer constrained by a record label, we've decided to personally upload Ghosts I, the first of the four volumes, to various torrent sites, because we believe BitTorrent is a revolutionary digital distribution method, and we believe in f
- The Charms of Wikipedia – The New York Review of Books – "Pop-Tarts are a "flat Cookie." No: "Pop-Tarts are a flat Pastry, KEVIN MCCORMICK is a FRIGGIN LOSER"
- Googlebomb Watch – Site that tracks Google Bombs
- Online Shops for Niche Products / ShopWindoz – Etsy for europe? One stop shop for leather leiderhosen min-dresses and amigarumia at the mo'
- South By South West Midlands – A group from the West Midlands go to South By South West Interactive. Lucky, lucky, sods, we're not jealous or anything… 😉 But seriously, they're offering to spread the weird by letting youse lot tell them what to go and see (within reason I guess).
These are my links for 26th February through 28th February:
- GeoPic II geotags your Nikon shots, saves on battery – Engadget –
- ITN doctors footage – Apparently they dropped advertising into the background of Brits items? Dodgy
- TweetVolume – see how often stuf gets twittered – a sort of "twitterfight"
- press complaints commission to investigate media scraping of social media content –
- Google Talkabout: Google Talk chatback – 'Guest' chat widget for people to connect with you via GoogleTalk – very clever for small blogs. untill someone invents GTalk spam