Great little article about how the flickr team manage thier worldwide online community. "The job always comes down to finding the fulcrum in the teeter-totter, the balance that benefits both the individual and the community," [link]
Ex collegue of mine Matt Cashmore is about to blog motorbiking to Russia for charity, some of which he'll be doing as audio by phone – here's his handy guide to doing just that (the phone thing, not the motorbiking): "Sound simple doesn’t it. Just find a way of leaving a message on something like skype, then get it to encode your audio, upload it to the server and generate the XML." [link]
An old PA football story somehow finds itself published as new news on This is Croydon – to the ire of commenters. The very funny ire. Read the comments from the bottom-up to get it chronologically. [link]
Firefox extension that hides comments on YouTube by grammar, spelling and punctuation. It's a very good way of filtering the dreadful and purile comments that litter YouTube. [link]
Nice piece about the BBC's "research mansion", doomed to closure and the dispersal of some incredibly talented people. [link]
- Trent Reznor 'releases' new album on Pirate Bay – Now that we're no longer constrained by a record label, we've decided to personally upload Ghosts I, the first of the four volumes, to various torrent sites, because we believe BitTorrent is a revolutionary digital distribution method, and we believe in f
- The Charms of Wikipedia – The New York Review of Books – "Pop-Tarts are a "flat Cookie." No: "Pop-Tarts are a flat Pastry, KEVIN MCCORMICK is a FRIGGIN LOSER"
- Googlebomb Watch – Site that tracks Google Bombs
- Online Shops for Niche Products / ShopWindoz – Etsy for europe? One stop shop for leather leiderhosen min-dresses and amigarumia at the mo'
- South By South West Midlands – A group from the West Midlands go to South By South West Interactive. Lucky, lucky, sods, we're not jealous or anything… But seriously, they're offering to spread the weird by letting youse lot tell them what to go and see (within reason I guess).
These are my links for 26th February through 28th February:
- GeoPic II geotags your Nikon shots, saves on battery – Engadget –
- ITN doctors footage – Apparently they dropped advertising into the background of Brits items? Dodgy
- TweetVolume – see how often stuf gets twittered – a sort of "twitterfight"
- press complaints commission to investigate media scraping of social media content –
- Google Talkabout: Google Talk chatback – 'Guest' chat widget for people to connect with you via GoogleTalk – very clever for small blogs. untill someone invents GTalk spam